Items You’ll Need

To ensure you have everything you need for your tax return filing, be sure to review this checklist of items to bring and, for your convenience, print a copy here.

REQUIRED items to bring:

  • Birthdates for you, your spouse and any dependents you are claiming.
  • If filing a joint return, your spouse must be present.
  • Photo ID for yourself and spouse (if filing jointly).
  • Social Security Cards, SSA-1099 or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse and any dependent you will be claiming.

Additional items you may need:

  • Advanced Child Tax Credit Payments (Letter 6419).
  • All wage and earnings statements, W-2, W-2G & 1099 from all employers.
  • Bank routing and account numbers if you want to direct-deposit your return (a check will have this information on it).
  • Educational Expenses.
  • Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (1095-A).
  • Total paid for daycare and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number. 
  • Unemployment compensation statement (1099-G). You can obtain your 1099-G here
  • Any other information about income and/or expenses. See this checklist for other items you may need.

* If you believe you will be eligible for Wisconsin Homestead Credit, available to qualifying Wisconsin residents with an income under $24,680, you will also need:

  • Child Support received during the year you are filing.
  •  Social Security benefits received during the tax year, including:
    • Federal & State SSI amounts.
    • SSI-E.
    • SSD.
    • Caretaker Supplemental Payments.
  • Wisconsin Works payments.
  • Your property tax bill or rent certificate.

For further information regarding Homestead Credit, visit or to print your rent certificate click here.