MENASHA — Halloween spending is expected to soar to pre-pandemic levels, with 69% of Americans intending to celebrate the fall holiday, up from 65% in 2021 and comparable to 68% in 2019.
According to the National Retail Federation’s annual survey conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics, consumer spending on Halloween-related items is expected to reach an all-time high of $10.6 billion, exceeding last year’s record of $10.1 billion.
“Halloween is an exciting time for many families, and that enthusiasm is reflected in the number of Americans who plan to celebrate the holiday this year,” NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay said. “As consumers continue to return to pre-pandemic behaviors, retailers are prepared to meet that demand and help make this holiday a fun and memorable one.”
Forty-seven percent plan to dress in costume this year. Here’s what is expected to be popular this Halloween.
- Top costumes for kids in order of popularity: Spider-Man, princess, witch, ghost, superhero, pumpkin, zombie, vampire, pirate and Superman.
- Top costumes for adults: Witch, vampire, ghost, pirate, cat, zombie, Spiderman, Dracula, devil and princess.
- Costume choices often are influenced by what we see in the movies or on TV. This year what’s trending is Maverick from the extremely popular “Top Gun” sequel, the cast of characters from “Stranger Things” and “Riverdale,” the ever-upbeat Ted Lasso and Minions.
- Every year pop culture and social media impacts what’s hot. If you can’t get enough of celebrity news and gossip, consider going as newlyweds Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck, Chris Rock and Will Smith, Jeff Bezos the astronaut, one of the Kardashians, Harry Styles at the Grammys or Olivia Rodrigo and one of the looks she captures in her music videos.
- And don’t forget your pet! Dressing our pets has become a big part of Halloween fun, and one in five intend to dress their pet up for Halloween. The most popular pet costumes are pumpkin, hot dog and bat, according to the NRF.
Since 1971, Goodwill NCW has served as the Original Halloween Headquarters.
- Score secondhand costumes that are ready to wear or create your own unique look that frights or delights.
- Find new and ready-made accessories, masks, makeup, wigs and other fun items to complete your costume.
- Feel good about your Halloween purchases. Not only do you get a one-of-a-kind look, you also are helping your local community by providing pathways that lead to sustained employment and improved financial stability for neighbors in your community.
For other fun ideas, including hair and makeup tutorials, one-of-a-kind costumers and festive decorations, visit the Original Halloween Headquarters website.
About Goodwill NCW: Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin is a nonprofit organization whose mission is Elevating People by Eliminating Barriers to Employment. We work to enhance people’s dignity and quality of life by seeing individuals for who they are, creating pathways for them to reach their goals through skill building and the power of meaningful work. We do this work in our stores and through our community partnerships. We are proud of our sustainability efforts and the life-changing impact we make on neighbors in our communities with the help of our donors and shoppers. Goodwill NCW is a Platinum Level member of GuideStar.org, the world’s largest source of nonprofit organization information. Visit www.goodwillncw.org.