Career Growth Skills
Career growth skills from Skills to Build can help you explore your career options, find and maintain gainful employment.
Contact us for more information or to sign up to enhance your employability skills.
The Goodwill Works curriculum is a tool to help people access opportunity. The curriculum offers a comprehensive approach to successful training, employment and improved quality of life. Individual, family and organizational success depends on the ability to adapt to the challenges of daily life.
Goodwill Works is instructor-led and can be taught one-on-one or in group settings, depending on your preferred method of learning.
Skills to Succeed Academy
Instructor-led or Self-directed
Accenture’s Skills to Succeed Academy is an interactive, online employability training program focused on building the skills and confidence you need to choose the right career, find a job and be successful in the workplace.
- Define career
- Explain the value of career development
- List the elements of the career development process
- Develop an individual career plan
- Understand when and how to leave a job
Interviewing/Managing a Job Search
- Review the interviewing process and how to prepare
- Identify techniques for successful interviewing and follow-up
- Understand how to manage a job search
- Identify resources to use when looking for your next job
- Review potential opportunities for networking
- Create a draft of an elevator speech you can use when you are networking
- Understand the importance of having a resume and when it is used
- Review pertinent information to include in a resume
- Develop a resume
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior at work
- Respond appropriately to the environment
- Plan appropriate speech and actions for particular situations
- Identify situations and determine what behaviors are appropriate
- Present the appropriate personal appearance
- What a career is and what it can mean for you
- How to think about career decisions
- How to set and reach your career goals
Lila’s Dilemma – Meet Lila. Lila wants to be a drummer, but her family thinks she should explore other careers. Is becoming a drummer everything Lila hopes it will be? Explore why choosing a career is important and what to think about when making a decision.
Career Pursuit – What do you want from a career? And how can you get it? It’s a journey that starts with thinking about what you really want, where you can get career advice and information, and how you can research and identify your options.
Why Do You Want To Be A…? – What do you want to be and why? Do you know what influences your career choices? It’s important to keep an open mind when thinking about careers, so that you don’t miss out on some options that could be perfect for you.
What Makes You Tick? – What are your interests and strengths? What are your motivations and style? The more you know yourself, the better you can make good career choices.
Find Your Future – Do you know how to research different careers? Have you thought about how the job market can affect your career choices? Recognize that there are many types of jobs and career paths.
Get Some Experience – Do you like to try new things? Come up with a plan to get the experience you need to get the career you want.
- How to identify your top skills and apply for the right jobs
- How to write a CV/resume and fill out an application form
- Successful interview techniques
- Into the Wild– Meet Sam. Sam is interviewing for a summer job at Grizzly Hotels. He’s a problem-solver who likes to fix cars, electronics, and anything else that is broken. But can he convince the hiring manager that he’s the right person for the job? Can he establish good rapport, use proper body language, and answer tough questions from the hiring manager?
- Your Training Journey– Getting a job is a journey. Prepare yourself by learning about the key steps and the people you will meet along the way.
- Who Can Help You?– Your job search can be easier if you ask for help. Find out who can help you in your job search, as well as your own responsibilities.
- Jenny and Sam– Meet Jenny. Jenny is Sam’s career advisor. Sam didn’t do too well at his last interview. Can Jenny help him improve for his next interview and see things from a different point of view?
- Identify Your Skills– Do you know what you’re good at? Or are you unsure of your skills? Think about your experiences and your story and come up with some transferrable skills that you can use on your resume and your interviews.
- Create Your Resume– What are the different types and parts of a resume? How can you create one that will help unlock the job interviews you really want?
- Work Your Network– Meet Daniel. He thinks he has done everything possible to get a job. That’s until he talks to his cousin Rose, who helps him discover the power of networking.
- Do Your Research– How do you research jobs? Do you know how to look for jobs online? Learn how to stand out from the competition by doing your research using the Define-Locate-Organize technique.
- To Apply or Not Apply– Job advertisements can be worded in confusing ways. Learn to decode them and see if the job is right for you. Then, discover how to match your skills to the role.
- Test Drive the CAR Technique– Can you tell me about a time when….? Be prepared to answer tough interview questions like this using the Context-Action-Results (CAR) technique. Learn when to use this technique, as well as the best way to structure the way you talk about your experiences.
- The Selection Process– What steps do employers go through when selecting new employees? Learn about these steps and understand your role in the process.
- The Call Out of the Blue– Meet Angela. She is about to get a call from a recruitment agency. Help her handle an unexpected phone interview and learn some tips along the way. Can Angela impress her interviewer even though she is a little unprepared?
- Tailor Your Resume– You might already have a resume, but do you customize it for every job you apply to? Find out why and how you should customize your resume to the job you are applying for.
- The Application Form– The application form collects basic information about you so that you can move to the next stage of the hiring process. Find out how to fill it out, as well as what pre-assessments are and why they are important.
- A Better Cover Letter– What’s a cover letter and why are they important? Learn what it is and how you can write one to catch an employer’s attention.
- Prepare for Your Interview– Do you know how to impress your interviewer even before you get to the interview? With a little preparation, you can make a great impression. Learn how to do some company research, how to dress, and how to plan your route.
- Sam and Futuro Systems– Meet Sam. He is progressing in his career journey and just got an interview for a technical support job! Can you help him nail this face-to-face interview and learn some tips along the way?
- Ace Your Interview– Are you interview ready? Get ahead by perfecting your interview technique. Find top tips on answering common interview questions, body language, and the unwritten rules.
- The Pearly Bank Panel– Meet Angela. She’s excited for her interview at Pearly Bank, but she’s not quite sure what to expect from a panel interview. Experience what panel interviews are like by helping Angela win over all the interviewers in the room (even the hard-to-impress Peter Graham).
- Online Professional Presence – How can social media help or hurt you in your job search? Employers are watching, so start by cleaning up your social media profile. Then create your LinkedIn profile, and use social media to network, find jobs, and make important connections during your job search.